In this book, PHP 5’s co-creator and two leading PHP developers show you how to make the most of PHP 5’s industrial-strength enhancements in any project–no matter how large or complex.
Their unique insights and realistic examples illuminate PHP 5’s new object model, powerful design patterns, improved XML Web services support, and much more. Whether you’re creating web applications, extensions, packages, or shell scripts – or migrating PHP 4 code – here are high-powered solutions you won’t find anywhere else.
Review PHP’s syntax and master its object-oriented capabilities – from properties and methods to polymorphism, interfaces, and reflection:
- Master the four most important design patterns for PHP development
- Write powerful web applications: handle input, cookies, session extension, and more
- Integrate with MySQL, SQLite, and other database engines
- Provide efficient error handling that’s transparent to your users
- Leverage PHP 5’s improved XML support–including parsing, XSLT conversions, and more
- Build XML-based web services with XML-RPC and SOAP
- Make the most of PEAR: work with the repository, use key packages, and create your own
- Upgrade PHP 4 code to PHP 5–compatibility issues, techniques, and practical workarounds
- Improve script performance: tips and tools for PHP optimization
- Use PHP extensions to handle files/streams, regular expressions, dates/times, and graphics
- Create original extensions and shell scripts.
If you’re a software developer new to PHP, you’ll leap quickly into PHP and its new object-oriented capabilities. If you’re an experienced PHP programmer, you already recognize PHP’s convenience and simplicity. Now, discover all of its power.