Encrypting Oracle data with Oracle Advanced Security
Oracle today announced that Oracle Advanced Security, an option to Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition, transparently encrypts all application data stored in an Oracle Database tablespace. Customers that use the Transparent Data Encryption feature of Oracle Advanced Security can now encrypt entire data sets used by Oracle Applications for data privacy protection and to help meet regulatory requirements.
By transparently encrypting application data using Oracle Advanced Security, customers can deploy quickly and implement greater data protection across their applications using efficient transparent encryption and decryption inside their Oracle Database.
Full Encryption for Sensitive Oracle Application Data
- Oracle’s Transparent Data Encryption provides increased protection for application data stored in the database (tablespace), without requiring enterprises to know which fields contain sensitive or regulated data, helping reduce deployment time and effort.
- It enables strong data privacy through the use of standards-based encryption algorithms such as Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES), as well as built-in key management with support for industry leading Hardware Security Modules.
- Since Oracle’s Transparent Data Encryption automatically performs all cryptographic operations inside the Oracle Database, no costly and time consuming changes to existing applications are required.
- Customers can secure their application data with confidence, knowing the tablespace encryption and decryption operations are performed transparently and efficiently at the Oracle Database I/O layer.
- Oracle Advanced Security also works with Oracle Advanced Compression enabling Oracle Database 11g customers to encrypt application data after compression — providing both data protection and storage savings.
- By encrypting data at rest in the database as well as when it leaves the database over the network or during backups, Oracle Advanced Security provides a cost-effective solution for data in transit and at rest encryption.
- Part of Oracle’s comprehensive portfolio of database security solutions, Oracle Advanced Security helps organizations comply with privacy and regulatory mandates such as Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS), Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) as well as numerous breach notification laws.