Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 released
Microsoft has released Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 which is available for download here.
WSUS 3.0 SP2 includes a variety of improvements which are outlined below.
New Windows Server and client version support
- Integration with Windows Server 2008 R2
- Support for the BranchCache feature on Windows Server 2008 R2
- Support for Windows 7 clients.
WSUS feature improvements
- Auto-Approval Rules: Auto-approval rules now include the ability to specify the approval deadline date and time for all computers or specific computer groups.
- Update Files and Languages: Improved handling of language selection for downstream servers includes a new warning dialog that appears when you decide to download updates only for specified languages.
- Easy Upgrade: WSUS 3.0 SP2 can be installed as an in-place upgrade from earlier versions of WSUS and preserves all settings and approvals. The user interface is compatible between WSUS 3.0 SP1 and SP2 on the client and the server.
- Reports: New Update and Computer Status reports let you filter on updates that are approved for installation. You can run these reports from the WSUS console or use the API to incorporate this functionality into your own reports.
- Stability and reliability fixes are included for the WSUS server, such as support for IPV6 addresses that are longer than 40 characters.
- The approval dialog now sorts computer groups alphabetically by group name.
- Computer status report sorting icons are now functional in x64 environments.
- A new release of Windows Update Agent is included with WSUS 3.0 SP2 that provides improvements and fixes, such as support for APIs called by nonlocal system callers in a noninteractive session.