WD introduced its new My Book Essential and My Book for Mac desktop external hard drives equipped with the new WD SmartWare software and hardware-based encryption.
When the drive drive is plugged in for the first time, the intuitive first backup process launches automatically. After the first backup, users’ files are backed up automatically every time they change or add a file.
The drives also feature user-selected password protection combined with military-grade 256-bit hardware encryption, which scrambles files before they are stored. WD SmartWare software works on PCs and Macs.
WD SmartWare software features:
- Visual backup displays that show content in categories and shows the progress of backup
- Automatic, continuous data backup will instantly make a second copy whenever you add or change a file
- Retrieve valuable data to its original location whether it’s lost data or the file has been overwritten
- Customizable data backup that allows user to set drive security, run diagnostics, manage the power settings, and more from the WD SmartWare control center.
The drives feature:
- 256-bit hardware encryption and password protection
- Illuminated capacity gauge lets user see at a glance how much space is available on the drive
- USB 2.0 interface – for convenience and compatibility among multiple computers
- WD GreenPower Technology lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30 percent, a sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer
- Planet-friendly packaging
- Ready to plug-and-play with Windows PCs
- 2-year limited warranty
The My Book for Mac drives are plug-and-play ready for Mac computer users and compatible with Apple TimeMachine.
The My Book Essential drives are offered in capacities of 500 GB, 1 TB, 1.5 TB and 2 TB and their price ranges from $99.99 to $249.99 USD.