Sun Microsystems announced a new release of Sun Ops Center, its management solution for physical and virtual systems. In addition to managing Sun’s x86 and SPARC servers, Ops Center 2.5 now extends lifecycle management capabilities to Sun’s built-in virtualization technologies, including Solaris Containers and Sun Logical Domains.
Ops Center allows users to maintain consistent deployment of firmware, OS, and applications across physical and virtual resources, speed deployment time, as well as improve business continuity by provisioning new systems and allocating resources.
From a single browser-based console, the product automates and controls Sun infrastructure as well as heterogeneous environments running the Solaris OS, Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, and Oracle Enterprise Linux.
New features in Ops Center 2.5 include:
- Ability to create, delete, configure, monitor, and migrate Solaris Containers and LDoms from a single console.
- Ability to patch the Solaris OS using Solaris Live Upgrade software with minimal downtime.
- Cutting-edge virtual storage library management using Fiber Channel, NFS or ZFS software.
- Advanced patching for Microsoft Windows via integration with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, giving customers a single pane to patch Solaris, Linux and Windows OSes.
- Full support for discovery, monitoring, provisioning and patching of servers running Oracle Enterprise Linux.
- Advanced, automatic datacenter asset grouping to accelerate initiation of repetitive tasks.