Red Hat announced the general availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 which delivers extensive new features.
Enhancements range from kernel improvements for resource management, RAS, performance, scalability, virtualization and power saving, through a greatly extended and standards-compliant development environment, to a comprehensive range of updated server and desktop applications.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 includes hundreds of technical feature enhancements and additions that offer customers a significant technology leap over marketplace alternatives. It offers:
- A highly optimized application platform for large-scale, centrally managed enterprise deployments.
- Enhanced efficiency with the latest generation of highly scalable hardware systems.
- Industry-leading virtualization performance, flexibility and security for both host and guest environments.
- Extensive support for features designed to minimize ecological impact and carbon footprint of IT systems.
- A platform suitable for long-term, stable deployment while able to incorporate new technologies for physical, virtual and cloud deployments.
“Clients need operating platforms that can accommodate a full range of datacenter models,” said Scott Farrand, vice president, Infrastructure Servers and Software at HP. “Optimizing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 on ProLiant servers extends the power of open source to HP’s Converged Infrastructure allowing clients to automate, scale-up or virtualize their environments to best fit their business requirements.”
“Red Hat and IBM have collaborated for over a decade to optimize Red Hat Enterprise Linux and IBM platforms for the needs of our joint customers,” said Jean Staten Healy, director of worldwide cross-brand Linux strategy, IBM.
“The combination of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and IBM technology offers our joint customers even further improvements for mission-critical, virtualized and cloud deployments, especially when combined with our latest IBM hardware capabilities. Designed with scalability and performance, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 is an important new platform for the industry,” she added.