Symantec expands cloud security portfolio to secure cloud applications and infrastructure
Symantec’s Cyber Defense Platform cloud protection provides visibility and control for any cloud app and integration with CloudSOC CASB, Cloud Workload Protection (CWP) and Data Loss Protection (DLP). It also gives customers the ability to track more risk attributes and scan cloud applications and repositories with new API Integrations.
As enterprises move critical infrastructure, applications and workloads to the cloud, they gain advantages in scale, convenience, cost and performance. However, this adoption often comes without proper IT oversight or security controls, introducing risk for data loss, breaches and compliance violations.
To address these challenges, Symantec has developed the suite of technologies and solutions for every cloud security and compliance need through its Integrated Cyber Defense Platform, which offers integrated security solutions covering a set of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS technologies that businesses use every day.
Key portfolio updates
Protection for cloud infrastructure: New Cloud Workload Assurance for security posture management, Cloud Workload Protection (CWP) for Storage with Data Loss Prevention (DLP) and CloudSOC CASB support for custom cloud applications. These new capabilities bolster infrastructure security and provide policy control over both the cloud data and control planes. IT departments can now:
- Protect all aspects of their cloud workloads and custom applications,
- Manage compliance and security policies in AWS and Microsoft Azure,
- Utilize data and threat protection for AWS and Microsoft Azure,
- Gain operational efficiencies and deep insights through constant monitoring and scanning.
Security for cloud applications: Symantec CloudSOC CASB provides visibility, security and threat protection for virtually any cloud application, including mobile and browser-based versions. Additionally, CloudSOC has unveiled an API solution that may help to reduce the time it takes to identify and remediate security incidents.
New features include:
- API integrations for popular apps including Workday and Workplace by Facebook,
- Custom Gatelet to secure any homegrown or public cloud apps,
- Mobile app risk ratings and usage monitoring,
- Fast API interface for Microsoft Office 365 and Box for improved security and performance,
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Mobile integration for simplified CASB provisioning on mobile devices.
Expanded cyber security services
To help businesses secure their cloud journey and address staffing and resource challenges, Symantec introduced Managed Cloud Defense – providing the same broad suite of Integrated Cyber Defense products powered by 24×7 monitoring, advanced analytics, response capabilities and cloud SOC analysts.
Managed Cloud Defense detects, protects and responds to cloud-based threats by correlating attack activity in the cloud with its Global Intelligence Network and by performing remote investigations, managed threat hunting and containment of cloud instances.
New features include:
- Monitoring of cloud platforms via native integrations with AWS and Azure for increased cloud visibility,
- Cloud user and application monitoring of threats and shadow IT,
- S3 permission monitoring for protecting storage of critical cloud-based data,
- Remote incident investigation, containment and threat hunting for rapid response.
Doug Cahill, senior analyst and group director at ESG, said, “Many organizations sacrifice security in exchange for convenience and speed, often inadvertently, when it comes to moving their infrastructure, applications and workloads to the cloud. With these new features and integrations, Symantec has shown its dedication to delivering a holistic platform for cloud-based security and compliance across the entire organization.”
Snapper Cyber Security Lead, Paul Hortop said, “CWP for Storage provides the simplicity and ease of deployment we require, along with the asynchronous protection and file tagging system required for proof of scanning as part of our service.”
Bradon Rogers, senior vice president, enterprise product strategy at Symantec added, “Our cloud security suite was designed with innovative new features and comprehensive integrations to help meet the security and compliance needs of any organization. By delivering these technologies with a cloud-first mindset and integrating security across infrastructure, workloads and applications, we are able to provide the most expansive protection in the industry. And, through innovations across the Integrated Cyber Defense platform, we are able to secure key control points – cloud, endpoint, network and email.”