The Internet Society announced that four new members have been seated on its Board of Trustees.
The results of the 2022 Board elections and appointments earlier this year are:
- Charles Mok is a visiting scholar at the Global Digital Policy Incubator of the Cyber Policy Center at Stanford University. He also served two terms as an elected member of the Legislative Council in Hong Kong, representing the Information Technology (IT) sector.
- Sagarika Wickramasekera is currently an Assistant Network Manager at Sriplaee Campus, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. Prior to this, she worked for the National Online Distance Education Service of the Ministry of Higher Education as Deputy Director – Systems where she actively participated in promoting distance education in Sri Lanka.
- Barry Leiba is the Director of Internet Standards at Futurewei Technologies. Prior to this he held various roles at IBM for almost 30 years.
- Victor Kuarsingh is currently Senior Director of Network Engineering and Delivery at Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. He also co-chairs an IETF working group and serves on the IETF Ops Directorate.
In addition, the board reappointed Muhammad Shabbir to a one-year term to fill the seat left by the resignation of board member Mamounia Diop.
The Internet Society Board of Trustees is elected or appointed by Chapters, Organization Members, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the board. All four new trustees will serve three-year terms which commenced with the Internet Society board’s 2022 Annual General Meeting held 18-19, June.
The current members of the Internet Society Board of Trustees are:
- Brian Haberman, principal staff research scientist at Johns Hopkins University
- Ted Hardie, Vice President for Global Technical Standards at Cisco
- Victor Kuarsingh, Senior Director of Network Engineering and Delivery at Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Barry Leiba, Director of Internet Standards at Futurewei Technologies
- Luis Martínez, Professor at Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico
- Charles Mok, visiting scholar at the Global Digital Policy Incubator of the Cyber Policy Center at Stanford University
- Robert Pepper, Head of Global Connectivity Policy and Planning, Facebook
- Jon Peterson, Fellow at Neustar
- George Sadowsky, former Executive Director of the Global Internet Policy Initiative
- Muhammad Shabbir, Research Associate, Institute of Strategic Studies, Research and Analysis at the National Defense University in Islamabad
- Andrew Sullivan, President and CEO of the Internet Society; serves as a non-voting member of the board
- Laura Thomson, Vice President of Engineering at Fastly
- Sagarika Wickramasekera, Assistant Network Manager at Sriplaee Campus, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
The Internet Society Board of Trustees provides strategic direction in support of the organization’s mission.