As we mentioned yesterday, ISS released an advisory saying that a new Slapper variant (called .B of course) is out there. One of the new functions was that the worm mailed information on the vulnerable hosts to the alleged creator of this modification.
David Morgan, senior consultant for Internet Security Systems (ISS), revealed the following news to VNUnet:
“Slapper mailed the addresses of infected machines back to an email address in the Ukraine,” he said. “This email was checked from a traceable location and, as a result, a 21-year-old male has been arrested by the authorities.”
Lot of questions are left unanswered, so in the next few days we will see if this person wrote Slapper/Slapper.B/both slappers/or maybe neither one.
Related news on HNS:
- ISS Alerts on Slapper Worm Modification (23 September 2002)
- Slapped Silly – news + links (20 September 2002)
- Klez.I Preys on the Unwary (19 September 2002)
- Reverse Engineered Slapper Worm (16 September 2002)
- F-Secure Warns About a New Linux Worm (16 September 2002)