Trend Micro Survey Indicates Less Than Half of U.S. Small Businesses Have a Virus Outbreak Response Policy in Place
Cupertino, California – November 17, 2003 – Trend Micro, Inc. (TSE: 4704, NASDAQ: TMIC), a leader in network antivirus and Internet content security software and services, today announced key findings from the Trend Micro Security Survey of small businesses. Content security was identified as a top IT priority by survey respondents, with 37% of all respondents having experienced a virus outbreak over the past year.
“Network viruses do not discriminate by company size, and for the nearly 8 million small businesses in the US, preventing and containing them has become a mission critical job,” said Dan Glessner, Senior Director of Marketing, Trend Micro, Inc. “Trend Micro’s purpose-built security solutions for small and medium businesses will enable them to focus on the most important thing-growing their businesses. And with Trend Micro pricing that is 30-40% below alternatives, these fast-growing companies can save money, too.”
Key Findings of the Trend Micro Security Survey of Small Businesses:
Security is a Top Priority for Small Businesses:
– 37% of small businesses had experienced a virus outbreak over the past year
– 24% of small businesses state that protecting and securing company data is their top IT initiative over the next 12 months
– Nearly 60% or respondents are currently evaluating anti-virus and firewall solutions for implementation over the next 12 months
– Less than half of respondents have an established policy to respond to security incidents
– 70% of small businesses report that ease-of-implementation and ease-of-use is important when selecting an antivirus vendor
– 66%of small businesses surveyed agreed that a layered approach to combating virus outbreaks is most effective
Small Business Security Purchasing Habits:
– For almost 60% of small businesses, purchase price is the largest barrier for security software purchases
– Product performance, fast pattern updates and purchase price are the top three factors small businesses consider in their AV software purchase
– 61% or respondents would also consider purchasing an anti-virus solution when purchasing a firewall solution
To accomplish the research objectives, a web-based survey was conducted by Millward Brown IntelliQuest among members of the Intelliquest Technology Panel in the U.S. Respondents were required to be IT professionals who evaluate and/or have purchase influence over anti-virus, anti-spam or network security software for their organization. A total of 67 surveys were completed with a cross section of organizations with less than 100 employees. Trend Micro was not identified as the sponsor of the research.
In addition, Trend Micro has launched the Trend Micro Small and Medium Business Security Makeover Sweepstakes – giving SMBs the chance to win a visit by the Trend Micro security dream team for a complete content security assessment and implementation of the Trend Micro SMB-focused security suite that meets their business’ needs. A value of up to $5,000 – Free. Please visit http://www.trendmicro.com/smb for official rules and entry form.
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro, Inc. is a leader in network antivirus and Internet content security software and services. An acknowledged industry innovator, Trend Micro is the global market leader in server and gateway-based antivirus software. Sold through an extensive global network of solution providers, Trend Micro products and services are used by large enterprises, government agencies, educational institutions, small & medium businesses, and individuals on five continents. For additional information and evaluation copies of all Trend Micro products visit our Web site, www.trendmicro.com