EMC Retrospect 8.1 for Mac now available
EMC Retrospect 8.1, the backup and recovery software for the Mac, offers increased performance on Intel-based Macs, improvements to the new user interface introduced earlier this year in version 8.0, and now runs on PowerPC Macs, fully supporting individuals and organizations that use older Mac computers for their backups.
The solution improves performance over version 8.0 in a number of key areas, including backup, data verification, and restore activities. On average, users on Intel-based Macs can expect to see local backup performance increase 10 to 15 percent over version 8.0 and 30 to 35 percent over version 6.1.
Performance on PowerPC systems varies more with the power and speed of the processor, with faster, multiple G5 processor systems performing 10 to 15 percent better than they did with version 6.1.
Among the most exciting changes that Retrospect brings to Mac users:
- An all-new, customizable user interface with remote management capabilities.
- A powerful new engine capable of multiple, simultaneous backup, restore, and copy operations.
- Disk-to-disk-to-disk (D2D2D) and disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) backups with point-in-time backup transfers between similar or different media types and disk grooming that removes out-of-date backup data to free up space.
- Simultaneous streaming of data to multiple disk or tape storage systems.
- Certified AES-256 encryption of backup data.
- Advanced network client support with support for multiple network interfaces and a wake-on-LAN feature to wake sleeping computers for backup, reducing overall energy expenditure.
- Complete backup of physical and virtual Windows Server 2003/2008 and Windows XP/Vista clients, including those running within VMware Fusion and Parallels, with system state preservation and backup of open files.