New books: ModSecurity, Snow Leopard, social Web applications
ModSecurity Handbook features an in-depth coverage of ModSecurity, an open source web application firewall.
The main highlights are the following:
- Step-by-step instructions for those just starting out
- Detailed explanations of the internals, and advanced techniques for seasoned users
- Includes the official ModSecurity Reference Manual and Data Formats Guide
- Available in digital format (PDF, HTML and ePub, although not all straight away) and as paperback (once the first edition is complete)
- Continually updated as ModSecurity evolves (with the updates included with purchase)
- Readers can talk to me to shape the book to work better for them.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard Pocket Guide goes right to the heart of Snow Leopard, with details on system preferences, built-in applications, and utilities. You’ll also find configuration tips, keyboard shortcuts, guides for troubleshooting, lots of step-by-step instructions, and more.
With this book, you will:
- Learn about new features and changes since the original Leopard release
- Get quick tips for setting up and customizing your Mac’s configuration
- Solve problems with the handy reference to the fundamentals of the Finder, Dock, and more
- Understand how to manage user accounts
- Work more efficiently using keyboard shortcuts
- Take advantage of MobileMe, Apple’s online suite of services and tools.
Building Social Web Applications helps you choose the tools appropriate for your audience so you can build an infrastructure that will promote interaction and help the community coalesce. You’ll also learn about business models for various social web applications, with examples of member-driven, customer-service-driven, and contributor-driven sites.
This book will help you:
- Determine who will be drawn to your site, why they’ll stay, and who they’ll interact with
- Create visual design that clearly communicates how your site works
- Build the software you need versus plugging in one-size-fits-all, off-the-shelf apps
- Manage the identities of your visitors and determine how to support their interaction
- Monitor demand from the community to guide your choice of new functions
- Plan the launch of your site and get the message out.