Cloud.com announced CloudStack, an open source software solution that accelerates the deployment, management and configuration of multi-tier and multi-tenant private and public cloud services.
The integrated software solution for delivering infrastructure as a service (IaaS) comes in three distinct products: CloudStack Enterprise Edition, CloudStack Service Provider Edition and CloudStack Community Edition. Through the implementation of common cloud frameworks like the Amazon Web Services API, Citrix Cloud Center (C3) and VMware’s vCloud initiative, Cloud.com provides an open environment that interoperates with a user’s existing cloud initiatives.
Designed to transform a data center’s underlying compute, network and storage infrastructure to act as an efficient, shared resource pool that can be deployed across multiple users as a service, CloudStack seamlessly integrates with existing data center infrastructure including virtualization and networking technologies, allowing users to realize the benefits of the cloud without investing in special-purpose hardware.
CloudStack delivers several benefits including:
- Massive computing power – providing virtually unlimited CPUs on-demand, as required and billed by actual usage in public, private or hybrid deployments.
- Powerful API – easily build, integrate and use applications based on common cloud APIs like the Amazon Web Services API, Citrix Cloud Center (C3) API and the vCloud API.
- Secure cloud computing – isolating compute, network, and storage resources by user, location and deployment.
- Comprehensive service management – defining, metering, deploying and managing services to be consumed within your cloud.
- Automated resource distribution – delivering capabilities to automate the distribution of compute, network and storage while adhering to defined policies on load balancing, data security and compliance.
- Real-time visibility and reporting capabilities – ensuring compliance, security and comprehensive metering customer usage.
- Simplified management – empowering administrators to offset the daily management of services to the end users with a powerful self-service portal that gives the day-to-day management tasks to the user, enabling administrators to focus on more business critical issues while giving the client more control and agility over the service by providing a catalog of custom built and pre-defined machine images.
CloudStack Community Edition is distributed under the GPL3. The Community Edition offers a leading open source software stack integrated with the open source Xen and KVM hypervisors and can be deployed with Ubuntu and Fedora distributions. With its simple to install software package, Cloud.com is a fully integrated binary that enables developers to quickly and easily build, manage and deploy IaaS clouds.