Ubuntu for everyone! This popular Linux-based operating system is perfect for people with little technical background. It’s simple to install, and easy to use – with a strong focus on security. Ubuntu: Up and Running shows you the ins and outs of this system with a complete hands-on tour. You’ll learn how Ubuntu works, how to quickly configure and maintain Ubuntu 10.04, and how to use this unique operating system for networking, business, and home entertainment.
This book includes a DVD with the complete Ubuntu system and several specialized editions — including the Mythbuntu multimedia release.
- Choose among three desktop environments: GNOME, KDE, or XFCE
- Connect printers, sound cards, cameras, webcams, and iPhones
- Use the Linux filesystem with either the desktop or the command line
- Learn networking functions, such as file and folder sharing and Internet access
- Get an in-depth introduction to the OpenOffice.org business productivity suite
- Learn how to use WINE to run Windows programs
- Implement upgrades quickly and easily
- Find out where to get, and how to install, other great software for Linux.
You need to know how to work with the bash shell if you want to get to the heart of Unix systems, including Linux and Mac OS X. Now covering the most recent version of bash, bash Pocket Reference puts all of the essential information about bash at your fingertips. You’ll quickly find answers to annoying questions that always come up when you’re writing shell scripts — What characters do you need to quote? How do you get variable substitution to do exactly what you want? How do you use arrays? — and much more.
If you’re a user or programmer of any Unix variant, or if you’re using bash on Windows, you’ll find this pocket reference indispensable. This book covers:
- Invoking the Shell
- Arithmetic Expressions
- Command History
- Programmable Completion
- Job Control
- Shell Options
- Command Execution
- Restricted Shells
- Built-in Commands.