Ubuntu has been hailed as the Linux distribution for newbies, but getting it up and running isn’t always a walk in the park. Linux is different—but the same unique features that make it shine can also prove intimidating for new users.
Ubuntu for Non-Geeks, 4th Edition makes the transition to Linux easy by offering readers hands-on instruction to help them get up, running, and comfortable with Ubuntu, fast.
In addition to covering the latest features of Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), this edition includes five new chapters that take readers through common tasks like installing games, accessing social networks, troubleshooting common hardware and software problems, connecting with the Ubuntu community, and accessing the files on their Windows installation.
In Ubuntu for Non-Geeks, readers learn how to:
- Install Ubuntu and keep it updated
- Set up printers, scanners, USB flash drives, and other hardware
- Install and play free games like Frets on Fire, Frozen Bubble, and Warzone 2100
- Watch DVDs, listen to music, and sync their iPod, iPhone, and other mobile devices
- Edit and share digital photos and videos
- Create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Customize the look and feel of their system
- Work with Windows files and programs on Linux
- Connect with the Ubuntu community to get support or join in
- Work with the command line (or avoid it altogether!)