WP Engine announced the launch of Global Edge Security, an enterprise-class security solution built from Cloudflare’s Internet performance and security solutions.
Global Edge Security integrates WP Engine’s platform, which powers more than 80,000 global customers, with Cloudflare’s managed web application firewall (WAF), distributed denial of service (DDoS) mitigation, SSL/TLS encryption, and CDN across a global edge network spanning more than 70 countries to deliver digital experiences on WordPress.
WP Engine’s Global Edge Security is a cloud-first, high performance, security solution built on Cloudflare’s intelligent network, providing the security protection against top Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) security vulnerabilities, nefarious acts and DDoS attacks threatening to black out digital businesses.
Enterprises who fail to secure their digital experiences leave themselves vulnerable to attack and will inevitably experience a negative impact on revenue, end-user engagement, brand reputation and customer churn.
Global Edge Security key benefits:
- Protects business operations with DDoS mitigation – Protects the origin infrastructure by detecting and dropping volumetric attacks at the edge of the Cloudflare Anycast network, which provides for efficient network routing.
- Secures customer data with SSL/TLS encryption – Web traffic passes through the Cloudflare global network for encryption to prevent unwanted breaches, and this encryption protects sites from receiving the “not secure” label per Chrome v.68 updates.
- Ensures app and server availability with managed WAF – Identifies new attack patterns and creates new WAF rules accordingly, protecting all WAF customers from known WordPress-specific vulnerabilities and emerging threats.
- Accelerates Internet applications with full-page CDN – Full-page CDN reduces latency for faster delivery and provides resilience in the face of high traffic volume or network congestion for a consistent experience.
Security in an insecure world
A recent string of incidents highlight the pressing need for cybersecurity.
- Privacy: A retailer’s data breach exposed the credit/debit card information and/or contact information for over 100 million customers,
- Ransomware: The WannaCry attack caused worldwide damage estimated at between $1.5 to $4 billion,
- Mergers & acquisitions: A recent acquisition between a telco and a search company resulted in the latter’s valuation being discounted due to a data breach.
It comes then as no surprise that Gartner forecasts worldwide enterprise security spending to total $96.3 billion in 2018.
Organizations are spending more on security as a result of these incidents, increased regulations, shifting buyer mindsets, awareness of emerging threats and higher levels of digital transformation across all industries necessitating greater security of customer data.
“Given the potential for material operational, financial and reputational losses, cybersecurity is quickly becoming a top boardroom imperative for companies of all size,” said Lee McClendon, Senior Vice President of Research and Development at WP Engine.
“As the value of data increases, the number of breaches will rise. Given this new reality, we partnered with Cloudflare to develop a solution for our customers that secures their WordPress digital experiences, protects data, safeguards operations and keeps threats far away via the global edge network.”
“There are a growing number of challenges and threats facing WordPress sites around the world,” said Chris Merritt, Chief Revenue Officer at Cloudflare.
“WP Engine’s use of Cloudflare’s services presents a unique solution for companies looking for the highest level of protection and performance across the globe.”