Fortinet has released FortiSP5, the latest breakthrough in ASIC technology from Fortinet to propel major leaps forward in securing distributed network edges.
Building on over 20 years of ASIC investment and innovation from Fortinet, FortiSP5 delivers secure computing power advantages over traditional CPU and network ASICs, lower cost and power consumption, and the ability to enable new secure infrastructure across branch, campus, 5G, edge compute, operational technologies, and more.
Innovation in custom chip performance
With an application-specific design and embedded multi-core processors to accelerate the convergence of networking and security functions, Fortinet FortiSP5 delivers:
- 17x faster firewall performance compared to leading standard CPUs.
- 3.5x faster next-generation firewall (NGFW) performance compared to leading standard CPUs to handle higher levels of traffic inspection to detect and block threats.
- 32x faster encryption to protect sensitive data and secure virtual private networks.
- 2.5 Gbps of SSL deep inspection to deliver the processing power needed to inspect encrypted traffic for malware without performance issues.
- Secure boot to allow only approved operating system software to boot up, protecting critical infrastructure against malicious tampering.
- Volumetric DDoS protection to thwart distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
- VXLAN/GRE hardware-accelerated encapsulation to enable secure interconnectivity for distributed networks.
- Hardware-accelerated Quality of Service (QoS) to enhance user experience with dedicated QoS for sensitive applications such as videoconferencing.
Cost and energy savings
As a fifth-generation 7-nanometer chip, FortiSP5 packs more capabilities in a smaller form factor to deliver:
- 88% less power consumption compared to leading industry standard CPU
- Industry leading performance per watt
- Industry leading price-performance
Supporting more applications to enable important customer use cases
With the ability to accelerate and concurrently run 2x more applications – for example, next-generation firewall (NGFW), zero trust network access (ZTNA), SD-WAN, and SSL inspection – compared to the previous generation, FortiSP5 will support use cases such as:
- Branch/Campus: FortiSP5 ensures the transition to SD-Branch is efficient and cost effective in a small form factor, enabling IT staff to simplify management and reduce OPEX while increasing network uptime. Additionally, as more organizations embrace the cloud and hybrid work model, FortiSP5 will continue to be a driver for Secure SD-WAN to empower customers to securely and seamlessly access applications anywhere and deliver consistent user experience with an optimized platform.
- Edge Compute: As edge computing improves efficiency and cost control through processing close to the edge, FortiSP5 supports high-speed networks and security threat protection for both commercial and OT environments, minimizing bottleneck for traffic movement.
- Operational Technology (OT): The convergence of IT and OT opened up the infrastructure to increased security risks that have caused disruptions in operations. FortiSP5 enables scalable convergence securing both OT and IT infrastructure with a high-performance platform.
- 5G: The growth of 5G adoption is on the rise in enterprise networks, fueling innovation at the edge as it provides higher bandwidth and lower latency. FortiSP5 enables a seamless transition to support 5G with an optimized and sustainable platform.
System on a chip technology
FortiSP5 will power the next generation of entry and mid-range FortiGate firewalls. Now on its fifth generation, Fortinet’s proprietary system on a chip technology has a proven track record of powering the industry’s top performing products and solutions.
Fortinet supports sustainability goals
The energy efficiency and performance per watt of FortiSP5 and the products that leverage the chip will help organizations reduce their power and space requirements. Fortinet remains committed to sustainable product innovation to ensure each generation of its products consume less energy and is built sustainably.
Ken Xie, Chairman of the Board, and CEO at Fortinet said: “With the introduction of FortiSP5, Fortinet once again sets new industry records for performance, cost, and energy efficiency. As the only cybersecurity vendor leveraging purpose-built ASICs—an over 20-year investment in innovation—Fortinet delivers the secure computing power that will support the next generation of secure infrastructure.”