Netskope has released a comprehensive data protection solution to help enterprises securely manage employee use of ChatGPT and other generative AI applications, such as Google Bard and Jasper.
As part of its Intelligent Security Service Edge (SSE) platform, Netskope enables safe usage of generative AI thanks to patented data protection techniques.
Following incidents in 2023 of sensitive data exposure from generative AI, many enterprises are now prioritising if and how to safely enable the use of these applications and support AI innovation without putting their businesses at risk.
- About 10% of enterprise organisations are actively blocking ChatGPT use by teams
- ChatGPT adoption is growing exponentially in enterprises, currently at a rate of 25% month over month
- Approximately 1 out of 100 enterprise employees actively uses ChatGPT daily, with each user submitting, on average, 8 prompts per day
To address this challenge, Netskope Intelligent SSE combines Netskope data protection features with newly released innovations specifically for classifying and dynamically controlling safe usage of generative AI applications.
“Enterprises today are faced with deciding whether to block access to ChatGPT and other generative AI apps to reduce security risk, or allow usage and reap the efficiencies and other benefits these apps can bring about. The safe enablement of these apps is ultimately an advanced data protection challenge—one Netskope is uniquely positioned to solve,” said Krishna Narayanaswamy, Netskope CTO.
“Netskope helps all organisations encourage the responsible use of these increasingly popular applications using the right data protection controls in place that help keep the business safe and productive,” Narayanaswamy continued.
As part of Intelligent SSE, Netskope Zero Trust Engine capabilities for the safe enablement of generative AI applications include:
Comprehensive application usage visibility
- Instant access to specific ChatGPT usage and trends within the organisation via industry’s broadest discovery of SaaS (using a dynamic database of 60,000+ applications) and Advanced Analytics dashboards
- Cloud Confidence Index (CCI) that actively classifies new generative AI applications and evaluates their risks accordingly
- Granular context and instance awareness via patented Cloud XD inspection, which discerns access levels and data flows through application accounts, such as corporate vs. personal accounts
- Visibility via a new web category specially created for identifying generative AI domains, enabling teams to configure access control and real-time protection policies, and manage traffic destined specifically for generative AI applications
Application access control
- The ability to monitor, allow, or block enterprise sensitive data (such as source code) from being posted to AI chatbots
- Visual coaching messages to alert users in real-time on potential data exposure and other risks every time generative AI applications are accessed— promoting responsible use of generative AI applications and training employees in real time, without stopping harmless queries
- The ability to monitor and allow or block posts and file uploads to AI chatbots
- Support for regulatory compliance needs such as GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, and many others, using advanced data classifiers and ML-based detection
Performing Security Services
- With SSE services powered by NewEdge, Netskope provides customers with service coverage, performance, and resilience
For more news from Infosecurity Europe 2023 visit our microsite.