The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is announce the availability of FreeBSD 9.0 that adds many new features. The release is now available for the amd64, i386, ia64, powerpc, powerpc64, and sparc64 architectures.
Some of the highlights:
- A new installer, bsdinstall(8) has been added and is the installer used by the ISO images provided as part of this release
- The Fast Filesystem now supports softupdates journaling
- ZFS updated to version 28
- Updated ATA/SATA drivers support AHCI, moved into updated CAM framework
- Highly Available Storage (HAST) framework
- Kernel support for Capsicum Capability Mode, an experimental set of features for sandboxing support
- User-level DTrace
- The TCP/IP stack now supports pluggable congestion control framework and five congestion control algorithm implementations available
- NFS subsystem updated, new implementation supports NFSv4 in addition to NFSv3 and NFSv2
- High Performance SSH (HPN-SSH)
- Flattened device tree (FDT), simplifying FreeBSD configuration for embedded platforms
- The powerpc architecture now supports Sony Playstation 3
- The LLVM compiler infrastructure and clang have been imported
- Gnome version 2.32.1, KDE version 4.7.3.