The Software Assurance Forum for Excellence in Code (SAFECode), a non-profit organization working to increase trust in technology products and services through the advancement of effective software assurance methods, announced that it has released new software security training courses as part of its online Security Engineering Training by SAFECode program.
Security Engineering Training by SAFECode is an online community resource offering free security training courses delivered via on-demand webcasts. Covering issues from preventing SQL injection to avoiding cross site request forgery, the courses are designed to be used as building blocks for those looking to create an in-house training program for their product development teams, as well as individuals interested in enhancing their skills.
New course available for immediate viewing include:
- Product Penetration Testing 101: This course provides a foundation for security penetration testing of products. It reviews the important penetration testing concepts and shares insight into common elements of an attacker’s mindset.
- Cross Site Scripting (XSS) 101: This course provides viewers with a basic understanding of the core concepts behind XSS. It will help viewers recognize where in a web application they may expect to find XSS and provide guidance on preventing and remediating XSS.
- Secure Java Programming 101: This course provides a basic introduction to secure coding in Java. Viewers will be introduced to the most frequent attacks and pitfalls that a Java programmer may encounter, along with techniques to avoid them. It is designed to be a starting point for those new to Java security.
In addition, SAFECode will release the following courses in the next six weeks:
- Secure Memory Handling in C 101: This course provides an introduction to basic issues in secure coding in C with a focus on secure memory handling. It specifically focuses on issues associated with traditional string (char*) handling, arrays and format strings.
- Using Cryptography The Right Way: This course provides an overview of how to use cryptography in a secure way and covers topics such as the uses of hashing and the differences between symmetric and asymmetric encryption. It provides examples of cryptography in action and reinforces the importance of using well-established and accepted cryptography toolkits.
These new Security Engineering Training by SAFECode courses are based on training materials donated to SAFECode by its member companies. A team of technical experts from across the SAFECode membership has reviewed and supplemented all course materials to ensure their broad applicability across diverse development environments.