Good Technology introduced Good Vault, built on the Good Trust mobile identity and access management (IAM) platform. Good Vault extends strong two-factor authentication and S/MIME security to Good’s Good for Enterprise email application.
Organizations in the government, healthcare and financial services industries can battle escalating mobile security threats while meeting compliance regulations.
Good Vault leverages a Secure Element on a microSD or smart card, enabling strong authentication without compromising the mobile form factor or the user experience. Access to Good for Enterprise is secured through card-based authentication, and mobile email messages are encrypted and signed to ensure privacy and integrity.
Good Vault requires four components:
1. A hardware-based Secure Element to store user credentials and keys; this comes in two options:
- Smart card
- MicroSD card.
2. A slim Sleeve/Reader that slides onto the phone and stores the smart card or microSD card
- The Good Vault smart card reader—provided by Precise Biometrics—which is a casing that adds smart card readers to the iPhone 4 or 4S. The reader is designed so that the iPhone maintains its sleek design adding only 16 mm in length, 4mm in width, and 5.7 mm in thickness, and weighs only 41g.
- The microSD reader, supplied by HID Global, which is a slim casing for the iPhone 4 or 4S that contains a slot for inserting the microSD card.
3. HID Global’s ActivID Credential Management System to issue and manage the microSD cards for either primary or derived credentials.
- Server side software that is a Web-based Admin console for configuring Good Vault.
The above components work together to provide enterprises the benefits of two-factor authentication without adding cumbersome standalone readers – reducing solution complexity and overall costs, while streamlining deployment and adoption.
Good Technology and HID Global have been working together to mobilize smart cards and the underlying secure element technology for use within mobile devices for over a year now. Good Vault is the first product to integrate the authentication tools needed to enable secure access to organizational systems using highly popular mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets.