Fast Radius merges with ECP Environmental Growth Opportunities to become a publicly-listed company
Fast Radius and ECP Environmental Growth Opportunities (ENNV) have entered into a definitive agreement that will result in Fast Radius becoming a publicly-listed company.
Purpose-built software and technology firm fostering sustainable infrastructure and innovation
Fast Radius is a dynamic software and industrial technology firm that has pioneered and continues to scale the cloud manufacturing and digital supply chain infrastructure. The Fast Radius solution combines proprietary software with a network of company-owned distributed micro-factories and third-party suppliers. This allows engineers to design, produce, and fulfill custom parts across a range of manufacturing technologies, including additive manufacturing, CNC machining, and injection molding.
The Fast Radius Cloud Manufacturing Platform has served over 2,000 customers, including Fortune 500 companies in the automotive, aerospace, medical, industrial, and consumer industries. The platform is purpose-built to provide industrial-certified parts at production volumes (e.g., thousands of units, not just prototypes) and has made over 11 million custom parts to-date.
The Cloud Manufacturing Platform is analogous to cloud computing and ushers in a new era of innovation in the physical world, just as cloud computing has done in the digital world. The platform consists of:
- Infrastructure: A network of distributed Fast Radius micro-factories and a curated set of third-party suppliers, in addition to a proprietary software layer to orchestrate the infrastructure.
- Operating system: A modern, software-driven user experience for customers and internal operations, including machine learning-driven insights.
- Apps & services: An evolving ecosystem of apps and services, ultimately providing access for anyone with a browser to state-of-the-art manufacturing knowledge, tools, and elastic capacity. Services running on the platform today include Fast Radius On-Demand, Fast Radius Virtual Warehouse, and Fast Radius Additive Launch.
This platform represents a new, more sustainable infrastructure to design, make, and move physical goods in the digital age. Fast Radius is scaling its vision to unleash the “fourth modality of logistics.” Instead of storing parts physically, companies will have the ability to store parts digitally in the Fast Radius Virtual Warehouse. Instead of moving parts by land, air, and sea, companies can move parts at the speed of light and produce them locally in a certified micro-factory where needed. The Cloud Manufacturing Platform is creating a more sustainable, more accessible, and more flexible global supply chain paradigm to meet the needs of this century.
UPS has partnered with Fast Radius to support the expansion of its digital manufacturing and supply chain infrastructure. Fast Radius has established one of its micro-factories on-site at UPS’s Worldport facility in Louisville, KY.
Compelling investment highlights and growth opportunities
Fast Radius plans to build the first $100+ billion cloud manufacturing and digital supply chain company, presenting a compelling investment opportunity in Industry 4.0 and next generation, sustainable infrastructure. Highlights include:
- Large and growing addressable market. The more than $350 billion component manufacturing industry, including production across additive manufacturing, CNC machining and injection molding, continues to grow and expand.
- Massive tailwinds to replace rigid, outdated, and fragmented infrastructure. Global demand is rising for more agile and sustainable supply chains, modern, consumer-like experiences in industry, and real impact from Industry 4.0 innovations, including new tools in digital design, simulation, equipment, and digital factory infrastructure. Today’s fragmented, sub-scale supplier landscape is struggling to address these needs, and Fast Radius is capitalizing on the opportunity to become a leader in the space.
- Fast Radius platform redefines how products are made and moved. Fast Radius Cloud Manufacturing Platform creates a new infrastructure that is flexible, sustainable, and accessible, providing customers a new way to design, make, and fulfill products globally.
- Resilient, proven revenue growth engine. Fast Radius is trusted and certified by Fortune 500 customers across industries, having produced over 11 million parts and served over 2,000 customers across additive manufacturing, CNC machining, injection molding, and many other manufacturing technologies – resulting in approximately 96% revenue CAGR over the past 4 years.
- World recognized leader. The World Economic Forum recognized Fast Radius as having one of the nine most advanced factories in the world. Fortune 500 customers have also recognized Fast Radius as a trusted parts supplier across manufacturing technologies, including production-grade additive manufacturing, where in many cases Fast Radius serves as the first and only production additive supplier.
- Model built to scale with attractive economics. Fast Radius’ proprietary micro-factories—a “factory in a box” model—are designed to be replicated for hyper growth, supported by proprietary software, driving attractive returns on invested capital. Additionally, the applications and services platform provides a growth flywheel as seen in cloud computing.
- Team uniquely equipped to execute. Fast Radius is led by Co-Founder and CEO Lou Rassey, a manufacturing industry pioneer who helped architect and lead McKinsey & Company’s work in Industry 4.0. Leadership team includes experienced, visionary executives with proven track records across high-growth technology businesses.
Lou Rassey, Co-Founder and CEO of Fast Radius, commented: “We are building a first-of-its-kind Cloud Manufacturing Platform that is providing a new infrastructure to design, make and move physical things in the digital age. As the Platform expands, we believe cloud manufacturing will have as great an impact on driving innovation in the physical world as cloud computing has had in the digital world. The benefits from the software and hardware powering cloud manufacturing are tangible and significant – the cloud brings improved speed, flexibility, cost, and accessibility to industry 4.0, all while providing a more sustainable model for global supply chains.”
Doug Kimmelman, Chairman of ENNV, commented: “The Fast Radius Cloud Manufacturing Platform provides a fundamentally more sustainable way to produce and fulfill parts around the world. We look forward to partnering with Lou and his team to accelerate growth as they execute on their proven business model and capitalize on the significant opportunities in the growing custom parts manufacturing market. As a public company, we believe that Fast Radius will be even better positioned to maintain its leadership in the software and industrial technology industry.”
Rassey added: “We are excited to partner with ENNV, as their team’s long track record of success, history of being on the forefront of new sustainable infrastructure transitions, and their institutional reach will accelerate the next chapter of our growth. Our board and management team remain committed to executing on our proven business model and driving value for all stakeholders.”
The combined company will have an estimated post-transaction enterprise value of $995 million with an estimated equity value of $1.4 billion from the contribution of $445 million in gross cash proceeds from the transaction.
Proceeds will consist of up to $345 million of cash held in ENNV’s trust account (assuming no redemptions) and an additional $100 million fully committed private investment (the “PIPE”), including a $25 million forward purchase commitment from certain accounts managed by Goldman Sachs Asset Management, L.P. Other investors in the PIPE include UPS, Palantir, ECP and other institutional investors.
The net proceeds raised from the transaction will be used to support Fast Radius’ continued growth across customer acquisition, software development, and micro-factory expansion. Fast Radius’ growth strategy is projected to generate revenue and EBITDA of $635 million and $135 million, respectively, in 2025.
Current Fast Radius management, employees and existing shareholders will roll 100% of their existing equity holdings into equity of the combined company. The business combination has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both Fast Radius and ENNV. The business combination is expected to close in Q4 2021, subject to regulatory and stockholder approvals, and other customary closing conditions.
Upon closing of the transaction, ENNV will be renamed “Fast Radius, Inc.” and is expected to remain listed on the NASDAQ.
For a summary of the material terms of the proposed transaction, as well as a supplemental investor presentation, please see the Current Report on Form 8-K filed today with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”). Additional information about the proposed transaction will be described in ENNV’s registration statement relating to the merger, which it will file with the SEC.
Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC and Citigroup Global Markets Inc. are serving as co-financial and co-capital market advisors to Fast Radius, Inc. DLA Piper LLP (US) is serving as its legal counsel.
Barclays Capital Inc. and Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC are serving as financial and capital markets advisors to ENNV and Latham & Watkins LLP is serving as its legal counsel.
Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC and Barclays Capital Inc. are serving as co-placement agents on the PIPE.