Seagate announced Seagate BlackArmor, a complete portfolio of products designed to protect data for sustained business continuity and optimum uptime. Designed as a simple, easy-to-install and easy-to-manage solution for businesses with little or no IT support, BlackArmor storage solutions are perfect for small office environments with up to 50 employees.
The first two unveiled products are the Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 and BlackArmor NAS 420 servers, which are designed to provide organizations with a centralized, secure way to manage their business-critical information. Each is a four-bay NAS device, populated with Seagate disk drives. In the case of the BlackArmor NAS 420, it comes with two drives in a four drive chassis. The BlackArmor NAS 440 comes fully populated with four drives. Capacities vary from 2TB in the BlackArmor NAS 420, to a maximum capacity of 8TB in the BlackArmor NAS 440.
- Ease of use: Self-contained, out-of-the box solutions with on-board LCD Screen, displaying settings and status information – including event alerts – and intuitive management utility for easy configuration and data access.
- Protection: Delivers continuous and automatic backup of business-critical data on up to 50 networked computers with full-system backup and RAID options to help provide data protection and redundancy.
- Security: Individual file to entire volume encryption with intuitive software management for access control at file and folder level with password protection and encryption; included bare metal restore and recovery CD to protect against hardware failure.
- Flexibility: Offers the ability to scale from two to four drive configuration with two, four, six and eight terabytes of storage so companies can pick the right solution to meet their business requirements.
- Accessibility: When away from the office, customers can access and share business content securely from the road with an Internet browser without any extra installs or software. Companies can invite colleagues and clients to access select files and folders without needing an FTP site, while keeping their firewall intact and maintaining the security of their network.
- Continuity: Designed with hot swappable, user-serviceable drives and RAID options to enhance performance and scalability, the BlackArmor 440 and 420 network storage servers help ensure business continuity. The four USB ports can be can be used to attach external USB drives for offsite rotation in order to guard against the consequences of natural disasters; BlackArmor network storage servers also ship with an external power supply and user-serviceable fan to cover foreseeable failure points and thus minimize downtime.
- Investment protection: Part of an all-inclusive small business storage portfolio, which offers interoperability amongst all products and strategic storage growth path. Each customer’s purchase has a three-year limited warranty and the peace of mind of knowing their business is backed by a storage industry leader.
Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 and BlackArmor NAS 420 network servers support Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later. Both network servers can be purchased at the following suggested prices:
- Seagate BlackArmor NAS 420 network servers – four-bay, two drive configuration $799.99 USD for 2TB
- Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 network servers – four-bay, four drive configuration $1,199.99 USD for 4TB, $1,699.99 USD for 6TB and $1,999.99 USD for 8TB scheduled available for May.
Here a video of Seagate’s John van Bronkhorst that shows the device and talks about what it can do: