Data security and automation are the top IT projects for 2020, while artificial intelligence projects are not in the top 10 for IT professionals, according to Netwrix.
The online survey asked 1045 IT professionals worldwide to name their top five IT projects for the next year; they could pick from a predefined list or specify their own descriptions. The survey found no dramatic difference in IT priorities among organizations based on size or vertical.
Top IT projects for 2020
- 74% of organizations named data security as their top IT priority for 2020
- 54% of respondents plan to focus on automating manual tasks
- 43% of organizations ranked data privacy among their top five priorities; 52% of them are subject to privacy regulations
- 33% of organizations intend to focus on digital transformation, integrating their existing solutions and performing cloud migrations. These goals were mostly cited by larger organizations with more than 5,000 employees
- 20% of organizations plan to focus on addressing the IT skills shortage either through education of existing IT personnel or talent acquisition
- AI was included in the predefined list of choices but didn’t make it into top 10 IT trends selected. Only 14% of large organizations (10,000–50,000 employees) plan to deploy AI-based solutions in 2020
“Not surprisingly, data security is a top priority for the majority of organizations. There are several factors that go into a successful data security process. The first is automating current processes to free up time for data security projects. Another is to research and deploy a data security solution.
“Be sure your solution offers automated data classification, because it is the optimal way to enhance data security and reduce your attack surface without additional effort by the IT team,” said Steve Dickson, CEO of Netwrix.
“Infrastructure, operations, networking and security are the foundation upon which the technology-enabled world is built. It must deliver value at each layer as it ultimately supports people.”