New version of TrueCrypt free open-source disk encryption software
There is a new version of TrueCrypt, a free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP , Mac OS X, and Linux.
New features in version 5.0 include:
- Ability to encrypt a system partition/drive (i.e. a partition/drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication (anyone who wants to gain access and use the system, read and write files, etc., needs to enter the correct password each time before the system starts). For more information, see the chapter System Encryption in the documentation.
- Pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100%Ã‚Â
- Graphical user interface for the Linux version of TrueCrypt
- XTS mode of operation, which was designed by Phillip Rogaway in 2003 and which was recently approved as the IEEE 1619 standard for cryptographic protection of data on block-oriented storage devices. XTS is faster and more secure than LRW mode.
- SHA-512 hash algorithm (replacing SHA-1, which is no longer available when creating new volumes).