Fraud prevention tips
As ATM/Debit Card Safety Awareness Month comes to an end, this week the PULSE debit network releases Fraud Prevention Tips. Although debit is a secure and convenient form of payment, it is a good idea for consumers to take some basic precautions when using their debit cards.
Important steps consumers can take to prevent financial fraud include:
- Shred all financial documents and records before disposing of them.
- Destroy unused or expired credit, ATM and debit cards.
- Remove mail promptly from your mailbox.
- Match receipts to monthly billing statements.
- Memorize PINs, passwords and Social Security numbers – do not store them in your purse or wallet
- Use longer, more complex passwords and PINs, and change them periodically.
- Sign all credit cards and debit cards immediately upon receipt.
- Notify account providers of address changes in advance.
- Immediately report a lost or stolen card and any unauthorized activity on any account.
- Never use your PIN as a password.