Veeam Software announced version 4.0 of Veeam Backup & Replication. With version 4.0, Veeam will be the first to support new VMware vSphere 4 vStorage technology.
The product offers full native support for VMware vSphere functionality, and includes:
- Support for thin-provisioned disks, which enables faster full backups and restore of virtual machines
- The ability to leverage ESX4 changed block tracking for much faster incremental backups
- Support for virtual applications (vApp), resulting in more flexibility when setting up backup jobs.
The vStorage API is a VMware Consolidated Backup replacement that enables local area network-free backups directly from storage area network storage, without affecting an organization’s production ESX or ESXi hosts.
The solution also includes a new Enterprise Management Server that enables enterprise customers to manage multiple installations of Veeam Backup & Replication through a single web console.
- Near real-time replication leveraging new vSphere ESX4 functionality to provide five-minute increments to achieve better recovery point objectives
- Hot VM copy capability to mirror production environments to test lab storage, for datacenter migrations or for ad-hoc backups
- Backup storage space monitoring with alerts for advanced backup storage capacity planning
- Replica seeding for the initial replication using removable storage to minimize traffic over WAN.
Pricing for the new version starts at $599 per socket.