PacketFence is a free and open source network access control (NAC) system. It can be used to effectively secure networks – from small to very large heterogeneous networks. PacketFence has been deployed in production environments where thousands of users are involved – on wired and wireless networks.
PacketFence provides an impressive list of supported features. Among them, there are:
- Registration of network components through a captive portal
- Automatic isolation, if desired, of unwanted devices such as Apple iPod, Sony PlayStation, wireless access points and more
- Instant stopping of computer worms or virus propagation
- Blocking of attacks on your servers or other network components
- Compliance for computers present on your network (software installed, particular configurations, etc.)
- PacketFence is an unobtrusive solution that works with equipment from many vendors (wired or wireless) such as Cisco, Nortel, Hewlett-Packard, Enterasys, Accton/Edge-corE, 3Com, D-Link, Intel, Dell and many more.
PacketFence 1.8.6 is a maintenance release which focuses on stability and includes many bug fixes and several small enhancements. New features:
- New iPod UserAgent blocking string examples
- Snort 2.8.5 compatibility
- Expire mode deadline now works in vlan isolation mode
- Installation guide updated.