DataStax announces DataStax Enterprise 6.7
DataStax released DataStax Enterprise 6.7 (DSE 6.7). DSE 6.7 delivers the distribution of Apache Cassandra with multi-workload support for operational analytics, geospatial search, data protection in the cloud, performance insights, Docker production support, and connectivity to Apache Kafka.
“We’re excited to release version 6.7 of DSE and offer our enterprise customers five key new feature upgrades, including: improved analytics, geospatial search, improved data protection in the cloud, enhanced performance insights and new developer integration tools with our Apache Kafka Connector and certified production Docker images,” said Robin Schumacher, SVP and Chief Product Officer at DataStax. “Our customers can now take full advantage of these features from the industry’s best production-certified version of Apache Cassandra and all the expert support needed from DataStax.”
DataStax Enterprise 6.7 includes:
- Production-ready Kafka and Docker integration: Modern cloud applications need to act on events as they arrive, especially in use cases that involve fraud, anomaly detection, financial systems, IoT, time series, etc. The DataStax Apache Kafka Connector makes integrating DSE with such event-based activity easy. For Docker, certified images are now available for production usage. Production support for Docker simplifies deployment of DSE in containerized environments.
- Scalable operational analytics for today’s cloud applications: Cloud applications require always-on, operational analytical capabilities to personalize each customer’s experience and analyze interaction behavior. DSE Analytics in 6.7 provides scalable and predictable performance for analyzing large data volumes, availability for no downtime, plus simpler and more secure management for data stored in DSE’s file system (DSEFS). Lastly, performance benchmarks show DSEFS scaling to 40TB per node with no decrease in query performance.
- Simplified enterprise search for geospatial applications: Applications that focus on logistics, financial networks, and IoT use cases need enterprise-class geospatial capabilities. DSE Search delivers more support and easier development capabilities in DSE 6.7 for building out geospatial functionality.
- Improved data protection with smart cloud backup/restore support: DSE OpsCenter 6.7 provides improved data backups for those using cloud deployments with support for generic S3 storage and Microsoft Azure, along with faster restore times reducing downtime for critical databases.
- Improved performance diagnostics with new insights engine and third-party integration: The new DSE Insights engine in version 6.7 collects all data needed for fast performance analysis, and integration with external monitoring systems makes it easy to analyze DSE in conjunction with other parts of the software stack.
“It’s no secret that the cloud is changing the data requirement for enterprises. 451 Research indicates that data workloads are moving to the cloud at a fast pace, with 61% of organizations saying that by 2020* cloud will be the primary environment for data platforms and services, compared with 40% this year,” says James Curtis, Senior Analyst, Data Platforms & Analytics, 451 Research. “As such, enterprises will require database offerings that are able to accommodate multi-cloud, hybrid environments.”
DSE 6.7 and updated versions of OpsCenter, Studio, and DSE Drivers are available for download, as is updated documentation to guide installation and upgrading.
“DSE is the only long-term, strategic choice for an active-everywhere enterprise data layer,” Schumacher continued. “We heard from our customers and are delivering a feature set that will help solve their biggest data challenges. DSE 6.7 will give our enterprise customers exceptional cloud deployment flexibility, make cloud data management easier and make developing cloud applications faster than ever before.”